Thursday, August 9, 2012

Case Study - Out of the Box (CSC103) {Learn to Pause}

Hello again friends - last post for tonight - I promise!  This is the second card that I made tonight to share with you.  I'm actually really excited about this card because I tried something new and I think it turned out really good!  I am entering this card in the Case Study - Out of the Box (CSC103)
Challenge as part of their Blogaversary Week 2.  This week we are challenged to try something new that we haven't done before, or use a new product, etc.  Before I get to the details of my card I wanted you to know that they are having another blog hop and once again the inspiration from the team is just amazing! Don't forget to check it out!  Now... on to my card...

I've been wanting to try this background technique for quite some time so I decided that today was the day.  I first took a cardstock base of glossy white paper and then randomly used two different blue Ranger distress ink pads and just kind of tapped them around the entire area.  It ended up looking like a bunch of splotches.  Then I spritzed it all over with a small sprayer and water and picked it up and encouraged the colors to run together a bit more.  After letting it sit for just a bit I tapped off the excess with a tissue and then heat set it before stamping the rest of the images on it.

What I was going for was the effect of laying on the grass on a sunny day and looking up at the sky to see some birds sitting along the telephone wires. I really love how my sky turned out using this technique!  Next I stamped my birds on a wire (from Tim Holtz) across the top with Not Quite Navy ink (Stampin Up!) and added a second row by only coloring the line and stamping it and then coloring in two of the birds and stamping again (I was actually quite amazed that I got them on the wire just right).  I randomly stamped dthe tops of the trees using a green Ranger distressing ink and varying the heights of the tree tops.  I stamped off a couple times to get a bit softer look to a couple of the trees.  I struggled a bit with where to place my sentiment (from Tim Holtz) and decided to go with the rule of thirds by placing it toward the bottom and leaving the middle more open.  When I placed it toward the top it seemed that I just saw the birds and the sentiment and didn't really notice the trees.  This way it seems to continue to draw the eyes up from the trees to the birds and then again to the inside.  The sentiment on the front is only a part of the full sentiment - I colored the words I wanted on the front first and taped off the top and stamped the rest of it on the inside - which says "or nothing worthwhile will catch up to you". Isn't that the truth?

I'm also entered this card in the Less is More Challenge - Week 79 Color - Blue & Green.  I've mentioned that I struggle with CAS cards and mostly sometimes from the aspect of if it really is considered a CAS card. In general CAS cards use a lot of white space - in this case my white space is the blue. It has a few different stamped elements that might be a little busy - but it has no extra embellishments, is one-layer and it would be pretty easy to re-create.  So I hope it qualifies for the Less is More challenge!   P.S. I found out (in a very nice way) that my card doesn't really meet the challenge requirements for the Less Is More Challenge based on the lack of white space (it is filled from edge to edge).  Thank you Mandi for letting me know - I really wasn't sure so thought I'd give it a try. I've asked to have my link from that challenge removed but left a reference here so that you might pop in there and see all the wonderful CAS entries using Blue and Green - very inspirational! 

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit me yet again!  I hope I've inspired  you in some way.  I have a friend named Cindi who uses this technique quite often and her cards are always stunning.  Bye for now - Hugs!

11 comments:

  1. This is really awesome. LOVE LOVE the sky and the technique you used. Great job! both of your cards are really beautiful!Hugs Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE that sky Danielle, it's a technique I've never tried but if you can get an effect like this I might just try it. Love those birds too, I think you achieved what you set out to do!

    Louise xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. A super card, great inking
    At "Less is More" we do ask to se white or blank space on our cards
    Your design is FAB nevertheless

    Thanks very much
    mandi
    "Less is More"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mandy, thanks so much for letting me know (in a ery nice way) that my card doesn't really qualify for the Less is More challenge this time - I sincerely appreciate it. I've edited my post above to explain this and ask that you please remove that entry (it won't seem to let me delete it.

      Delete
  4. Wow, what a fabulous technique! It really does make the sky look so real! Perhaps I should try my hand at it too. Thanks for joining us for the Anniversary celebrations at CASE Study :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The sky on this one is gorgeous!
    Thanks once more.
    Chrissie
    "Less is More"

    ReplyDelete
  6. What fabulous results you got from this technique!
    Thanks for thinking outside the box with us at CASE Study this week! :)
    Hugs!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your sky is stunning! Wow! Now that's thinking and trying something new! Thanks for helping us celebrate our 2nd Anniversary over on CASE Study this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful inking for the sky, Danielle! I love the idea of laying in the grass and looking up at the clouds, and your scene captures that perfectly. Thanks for joining in the celebration at CASE Study this week!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to leave me a comment. It makes my day happier! Hugs!