Sunday, June 10, 2012

52 {Christmas} Card Throwdown #6 - A White Card

A very Merry Hello to you my friends!  Color Challenge #6 at 52 {Christmas} Card Throwndown is to make a card using White - preferably all white, but a small touch of color is acceptable.   I have to tell you that when I first saw what the challenge was I was completely freaked out!  Although I very much admire the beautiful all white cards I have seen, I personally haven't had a great lot of sucess with mine turning out.  But... I am so excited to share this Christmas card with you today because I really, really love how it turned out!!! Is it okay to say that about your own card?? I sure hope so - LOL! Please click on the picture to see it better and I have also put a couple more views in for you too.  Not only is it very challenging to make a White on White card - it is incredibly difficult to photograph it!


After a couple days of intense thinking over how I was going to make this card, I decided the best way would be to add lots of detail and layers.  So I sponged a little Sahara Sand ink around the outer edge of my snowman to help him stand out a bit against the rest of the white snowflake embossed background and then popped him up with dimension dots. The white scarf was scrunched up to add some depth and movement and the corregated cardboard #s also add some more dimension to the main image.  I used a retired Stampin Up color called Going Grey for the sentiment so that it didn't appear too harsh against the rest of the background, but it seemed to just float out there until I added the glittery snowflakes behind each word to help pull it all together. I do feel like I cheated a tiny bit on the challenge with my touch of silver in the snowflakes, but Mynnette did say we could use just a touch of color and it just really helped the sentiment to pop so I had to keep it on there.  Hope you like this card and that it has inspired you in some way!

Thanks for stopping by to visit - and thanks so much Mynnette, Jacqueline and Ruth at 52CCT for this challenge that has helped me to stretch creatively yet again. Here is the inspiration photo for the challenge.  Pop into this site and check out the amazing samples the Design Team has put together for us. Jacqueline's embossed trees are awesome.  Mynnette's embossed background and bow are gorgeous and Ruth's card is truly all white and WOW! 
Supplies:  Whisper White cardstock from Stampin Up!. Snowman is a Tim Holtz Sizzix called Winder Wonder.  The 25 is from Jilly Bean Soup - white corregated cardboard.  The snowflake embossed background is a retired Stampin Up Sizzix texture embossing folder (first time I have ever used it).  The glitter snowflakes were cut using the Northern Frost Sizzlit die from Stampin Up (retired) on the Silver Glitter paper.  The sentiment is from the Pennant Parade Stamp set and each word is punched out using the 3/4" circle punch.  The White tafetta ribbon is also from Stampin Up.

12 comments:

  1. This is a stunning card Danielle, beautiful layers and texture, thanks for joining in our White challenge this week at 52CCT - Jacqueline xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Danielle...
    You've done it.....
    A Fabulous White Christmas Card.
    LOve the Snowman.. LOve the date...
    LOve the sentiment and Adore those Silver Snowflakes lol.. LOve the embossing flower and the Ribbon....LOve everything about it lol.
    Chrissyxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Danielle, this is absolutely GORGEOUS!!!! Stunning use of all that white--I am in LOVE with this card! Thanks for joining us at 52CCT! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh thank you, thanks you, thank you ladies for your kind comments on this card! Once the idea popped into my head it seemed like it was meant to be. Wonderful challenge - so glad I pulled it off - LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful card, just love the snowman with his silky scarf. White on white is quite scary isn't it, but you've done it brilliantly.
    Louise xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much Louise. I really like your card this time too. Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great card- love the detail on the 25!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like the silver snowflakes. I love the contrast the silver gives to the card.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Danielle you've done a wonderful job making this lovely 'white' card I especially like your glittery snowflakes..adding some sparkle

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous Danielle, absolutely fabby card! Love the snowman's scarf,the silver snowflakes behind the words and the embossing adds such great texture!
    Great to see you taking part in the challenge at 52 CCT again! Ruth x

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is brilliant Danielle and I'm not surprised you're pleased with it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful white card! I like how you added the sponging, nice touch! Love how the scarf was scrunched up too, very creative!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to leave me a comment. It makes my day happier! Hugs!